Please click on the company names in the tabs to read the details for the respective companies.
The Western Welsh Omnibus Company Ltd acquired it's name in 1929, when the Great Western Railway took a financial interest, but the company was part of the British Electric Traction (BET) group, and was therefore not nationalised in the immediate post-Second World War era. The operating area stretched across south Wales from east to west, but it could be, perhaps, best described as 'patchy'. Other BET group companies had significant operations in and around Swansea, Ammanford, Port Talbot and the Rhondda valley, while the BTC companies Red & White and United Welsh also covered some parts of south Wales, with some common ground.
Vehicles were generally purchased from AEC or Leyland in the 1950's and 60's, with bodywork from various suppliers. AEC double deckers were favoured in the 50's, but from 1960 the Leyland Atlantean was favoured, a fleet of 66 being built up in the years to 1962. After that, the Atlantean seems to have fallen from grace, and subsequent double deckers bought were AEC Regent V, Leyland PD2A and AEC Renown models, before more Atlanteans came in 1969. Like Red & White, the fleet was principally single deck, with an huge fleet of the 30' long lightweight Leyland Tiger Cub model, this being favoured until 1967, by which time the majority of BET group companies had switched to the longer Leyland Leopard and AEC Reliance models. A batch of 36' Leopards were bought in 1962, but no further buses of this size came until 1969. Coaches were a mix of AEC and Leyland underfloor engined types, with the Leopard being favoured later in the 60's. Coaches were generally kept for a few years, and were not downgraded to bus status. Instead, dual purpose vehicles based on underfloor engined chassis, with a luggage locker separate from the passenger saloon, were also bought, principally for use on the longer distance bus services, and these were a mix of Leyland Tiger Cub and AEC Reliance types.